Thursday, June 7, 2007

There Always is a First

Hello Reading!

So now it begins. I am making an official attempt to help change my part of the world...one idea at a time, one step after another, reaching out from one neighbor to the next. I know I can't be the only one looking around, watching the news, reading the newspaper and being a bit horrified and overwhelmed. Globalization, climate change, food safety and pollution is enough to give most people a bit of an anxiety attack.

So I have tried to go "green". One baby step at a time. I wanted to write my experiences down, and hopefully get ideas flowing. I know that I can't change the world, but perhaps I can make my own backyard greener...and my backyard is Reading Massachusetts.

So come along with me...be a part of the process with your feedback and ideas. We can truly turn these pages into resources that we can actually use. I really would love to learn from you and perhaps I can trigger ideas that you can use today.

7 comments:

Ralph L. Vinciguerra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ralph L. Vinciguerra said...

I recently purchased a front loading clothes washer that uses significantly less water and electricity (and is quiet too).

I was told that the town and RMLD both offer rebates (or some kind of assistance) to encourage people to replace their old washers. How do I apply for these rebates?

Eco Reading said...

I also got a rebate for my washer. Great progam! You can call the rebate hotline at 781 942-0050, go to http://www.ci.reading.ma.us/dpw/water/rebateinfo.pdf
or just stop in the lower level in town hall public works department for an application. You have to have your receipt. Just know I am not a town employee, just a regular citizen :)Good luck!

Ralph L. Vinciguerra said...

Thanks for the quick info! I'll combine the purchase receipt with a copy of the new energy star logo sticker, and bring them over to town hall, and RMLD. These rebates are a nice incentive to get people to select the more efficient machines, which have higher price tags.

Eco Reading said...

I couldn't agree with you more! Just for everyone's FYI, Reading also gives rebates on water barrels,low flush toilets and moisture sensors for irrigation systems. Great program that everyone should try and take advantage.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I din't know abour the rebate for moisture sensors for irrigation sensors. Thank you.

Eco Reading said...

You are most welcome!