Friday, June 8, 2007

The Egg and I

So let's begin to talk about food.


It really has been my obsession for several months now. I guess I seriously started after the Chinese pet food and animal feed contamination scare. I realized that I really didn't know where my food was grown or raised and I was concerned over the possible chemical contamination that my food may be exposed to. The pet food scare is really just the tip of the iceberg. China is notoriously lax in food safety and contamination and downright poisonings are common. Rural Chinese infants have died from fake baby formula, 51 stricken dead in Panama from cough syrup containing diethylene glycol...yes, that's right antifreeze. Arriving in the US for your consumption...dried apples preserved with a cancer-causing chemical, frozen catfish laden with banned antibiotics, mushrooms laced with illegal pesticides.



Yum.......... Not.


Even when I have tried to do the "right" thing by my family and purchased organic frozen vegetables I have discovered to my unpleasant surprise, grown in CHINA!
Can we really trust China to not use banned pesticides, or chemicals that can kill us? Hmmmm, I have not inspected a Chinese farm and I doubt US officials have either. Now the FDA will begin to allow Chinese chicken imports. According to the International Herald Tribune, "In China, some farmers try to maximize the output from their small plots by flooding produce with unapproved pesticides, pumping livestock with antibiotics banned in other countries and using human feces as fertilizer to increase soil productivity. But the questionable practices do not end there: Chicken pens are frequently suspended over ponds where seafood is raised, recycling chicken waste as a food source for seafood, according to a leading food safety expert who served as adviser to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."


My guess is if there is a profit to be made, there are corners to bend.

So what can we do about all of this ....it is just too much....



So....a long story for a short trip. Seven Acres Farm in North Reading.




Seven Acres Farm

Paul Magliozzi

4 Concord St, N. Reading, MA 01864

978-664-2660


Farmstand: Year round, daily, 9am-6pm Chicken*, turkey*, eggs*, baked goods, herbs*, flowers*, vegetables* They have USDA meat and poultry. They have been in business since 1938, selling turkeys and chicken pies, roasts cutlets and eggs. Store is 1 mile from Rt. 93.


I love this farm!!!! The taste of the eggs, chicken and turkey are unmatched by any organic grocery store bought item. My husband said he thought the chicken I cooked on the grill last week was the best chicken he has had in his entire life! Yes, you have to buy a whole chicken and quarter it yourself, but oh so worth the small effort. The eggs are so flavorful and yellow that I have sadly realized I have not had fresh eggs before. I have just been informed the each Friday they smoke chickens so I am headed back this afternoon for out dinner treat.

This really is such a big topic that will be continued on and on. Have you been to 7 Acres? Spread the word to your friends. So many people have said, "Oh I know where that is, but never stopped." Really do stop. I mean how many times in your life have your talked with a farmer....a real live farmer for goodness sake!



5 comments:

Ed McNeil said...

It is funny to hear you comment ofn the freshness of the eggs. I have been a 7-Acres fan for 4-5 years. I couldn't believe how different the eggs tasted. Also a benefit to these chickens is there other contirbution...I get my garden maneur there. Loaded in my truck by the helpful staff. I had one of the biggest gardens ever after using this stuff.

Eco Reading said...

Manure...didn't even cross my mind. We bought cock-a-doodle-doo for our yard, but hey local chicken...well you know. How great! How much did they charge?

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you were able to get fertilizer. I called several years ago and they said they only had it after Thanksgiving and that it was not composted at that point so would be too strong to apply. They said they only had the turkeys for a couple of months (to 'finish' raising), they don't raise them from eggs so they didn't have alot of manure... maybe I asked the wrong question.

Ed McNeil said...

I paid $5 for my truck full. They even loaded for me. To comment to anonymous, it is too strong if you are planting while laying the fertilizer. I plan about 3 weeks out, lay it down and wet it real well.

My garden is a lush oasis of tomatoes, eggplant, cukes and the like.

Eco Reading said...

Thanks ed! I will try it next season!