Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I'll Have the Local Yokel Fish and Milk Please






Back to food once again.


There is a reason that settlers came here to Massachusetts first, and one of them is the resources of the sea. I know there are many conflicting ideas on the eating of seafood, but I am really going to take the position that if it is local then it's O.K. to eat it. We are so very lucky to have this productive portion of the Atlantic right off our near coast.


So here is what I learned from the informative owner of the truly terrific Twin Seafood .....591 Main St. (781) 942 5855 www.twinseafoodofreading.com.... All his fish comes through Boston and there are certain varieties that can be considered "local". Shellfish such as scallops, clams,and lobsters are fished in the waters off of Massachusetts and Connecticut. Many of these fishermen are out of Fall River. In addition, Cod and Haddock are also fished from this port and shipped to Boston fresh, fresh fresh. Additionally some of the clams come from the famous Ipswich tidal flats. I cannot leave out the seasonal running of tuna and swordfish that comes yearly off our coasts. However I do have to point out that there has been warnings issued for children and pregnant women in regards to eating too much of these fish due to the risk of mercury.

So why go over to Twin Seafood. Well, it local and the taste is AMAZING! I have created two memorable meals...one scallop and one haddock. With sides dishes cooked with my farm share from the Farm School you would think that I was cooking at a five star restaurant. I am not kidding...it was that good.

So that brings me around to milk. Sorry for the jarring segue :)

I really had a hard time deciding what milk my family should be drinking and especially my young son. For years we used organic milk and were very happy with it. However, I started to think about the local thing and read some reports on how many large organic producers were really not following the standards set forth in the requirements. These large companies are well....large companies. So here is what I did....I talked with a farmer at Richardson Dairy.



Here is what I learned. Richardson's has been there...in Middleton for 350 years! 350! Pretty amazing. I asked about their feed and why they are not considered organic. He explained that the cost of the feed for organic is prohibitive. Organic feed would cost 3 times as much as regular feed but unlike many organic farms Richardson's actually grows their own hay as part of the cows balanced and controlled diet. He also explained why the regulations regarding pasturing is difficult to achieve here in Massachusetts and northern climes in general. Simply, grass is not available all year long. Right...it seems so obvious, but I really never thought of it...what really do I now about raising cows. Also, if cows do go outside during our harsh winters the risk to them through falls are high. Hmmm..something else I did not consider.

The winning element for my choice of Richardson's Dairy is this. Transparency. Go to the farm in Middleton, put your eyes on the cows, decide for yourself. For me this trip was crucial. I have never laid my eyes on any of the organic cows that we drank for years. OK, I will be honest, I never laid eyes on any of the cows I have drank milk from! So that was it. I was sold. I go to the Reading store at Jordon's furniture and pick up my milk 1 or 2 times a week. I get to listen to Abba or Springsteen on the dancing waters show and I get my milk. In my most paranoid of states of mind, I know that I could actually ride my bike to the Middleton Farm in the unforeseen event of total societal breakdown. I do feel good about that.









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello - LOVE your blog! interesting comments on milk .. was curious what your thoughts are on raw milk? check out
www.realmilk.com and www.just dairy.org

Eco Reading said...

Researching this has been on my agenda for weeks! We frequent Chase Hill farm in Warwick to buy their amazing raw milk cheeses, and they sell raw milk as well. I hesitate to buy it...especially for my youngster. I just don't have the answers yet. Thanks so much for the links as this will start me on my way!

Do you have an opinion?

Anonymous said...

hello -
interestingly they sell raw milk cheese at whole foods (and probably other stores) but not raw milk. i would buy it if it were more readily available. many states allow the sale of it. I think MA should too and let people make their own decision, as if it were simply another "brand".