Thursday, June 7, 2007

Reading Recycles 1-7 Plastic!!!!!!!

We are so very lucky that Reading offers curbside recycling for all plastics in additions to cans, glass and paper. My friend in Philly is so jealous because she makes trips to the dump for her recycling! Talk about commitment!

I know that most of you want to be a good steward of the earth....but most of you don't recycle your plastic. I know that you don't because I drive around and see the amount in your trash bins!!!! O.K. I fess up...I only started doing it 6 months ago in earnest. Now it is a contest with ourselves. We only want to fill 1 bin with garbage and the rest is composted or recycled.

Now...why should I get so crazy about keeping all this icky plastic. Ready to get your anxiety kicked into full gear...check out the article Plastic Ocean. I guarantee you will be making it work for your family.

Here's what we did. First we got a handle on the plastic codes and we were shocked how much could be recycled. Here we go:

Poly(ethylene terephthalate): Soda bottles, water bottles, vinegar bottles, medicine containers, backing for photography film.



High-density Polyethylene: Containers for: laundry/dish detergent, fabric softeners, bleach, milk, shampoo, conditioner, motor oil. Newer bullet proof vests, various toys.


Poly(vinyl cloride): Pipes, shower curtains, meat wraps, cooking oil bottles, baby bottle nipples, shrink wrap, clear medical tubing, vinyl dashboards and seat covers, coffee containers.


Low-density Polyethylene: Wrapping films, grocery bags, sandwich bags.


Polypropylene: Tupperware®, syrup bottles, yogurt tubs, diapers, outdoor carpet.



Polystyrene: Coffee cups, disposable cutlery and cups (clear and colored), bakery shells, meat trays, "cheap" hubcaps, packing peanuts, styrofoam insulation.


The hotdog of plastics! Products labeled as "other" are made of any combination of 1-6 or another, less commonly used plastic.


We then needed a system to separate our plastic, cans and glass from the rest of the trash. We put 2 bins under our sink, one for garbage one for recycling. Then we had to increase our capacity for recycling for curbside. My husband got stickers from town hall and placed them on one of our regular cans. Every other week we recycle 2 full red bins and one full "regular" trash bins. We are really proud of ourselves.




Oh...we do recycle paper. It is in a separate bin in our pantry.
You can do it!!!!!!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this information. We are beginning single stream recycling in Bradford and there are numerous references to 1-7 plastics. Since I didn't know what was in each category I googled Plastic 1-7 and your very helpful entry popped up. I also enjoyed your links, since my husband is going to be putting in raised beds for next season. Thanks!

Eco Reading said...

You are so very welcome and may I say welcome to recycling :)
I am a total fan of the raised bed and as I write this, I still have lettuce growning in one. Last year we got an amazing crop of potatoes! Who knew! Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks! I just typed in google 'plastic codes 1-7' because in D.T we're making L.E.D light up photo frames and we got a sheet to fill out about plastic. It said to give examples of products made from these plastics, and you're site was just so helpful. I read some of the other info and I should probably consider to recycle more :_D, thanks again!

reevox said...

Thank you beaucoup for this post. I was at a recycling centre today here in Quebec, and, looking under a Rubbermaid tray, it said 4 ... but the attendant & I did not know what it stood for. I will bring him this list so he can tell others.

Unknown said...

Nice blog. Gayatri Plastics Pvt. Ltd. Is the manufacturer of Rubber released Film, Mulching Film, LDPE Pallate cover, LDPE Shrink Film and Bags, HM-HDPE Bags and palate covers and EVA film, Milk and water packing Film,prited bags/liner LDPE Shrink Film and Bags.