Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Ate My Lawn For Dinner

I am serious! 'Tis the season for terrific edibles right in your own backyard! Last night's menu included common blue violets. I have to admit I have never tried them before, but researched and confirmed that the flowers and tender new leaves are not only edible, but super tasty. Imagine a sweet peppery lettuce and that is how the flowers tasted. The leaves were a bit more earthy but still good and filled with vitamins.

How did I know about these wild edibles? It started with the naming thing and then spread out from there. Last year I went on an amazing walk with wild food author Russ Cohen. Just within 100 yards of our start he identified 10 different plants that you can not only eat, but enjoy. His book is wonderful because it really specifies our local area and lists what you can find during the average week throughout the year. I highly recommend his walks. It felt like he was some sort of zen master and we were just young grasshoppers.

So what is an easy edible to find in Reading? We are at the tail end of dandelions. The choice part is the flower buds (not the leaves) quickly blanched then prepared. I am determined to do this this year, but still have not had a chance.

In today's globe there is an article about "green" not being so green. Just know that eating wild is as green as you can get. There are many books on the topic and it can get totally addicting. Of course please make sure you have identified your plants correctly as to prevent poisoning!

My next conquest is to use the ground ivy that has taken over a section of my backyard to make a tea. Come on over for a cup.

No comments: