Tuesday, April 22, 2008

You've Got to Name It, Baby

Many of you know that I am a huge fan of Richard Louv's Last Child in the Woods. The one line that stayed with me as almost a mantra is, "You got to name it in order to love it." The wise woman's point was only when one can call something by name will move you to fight to preserve it. Most humans cannot love things that cannot name. I realized I knew very little of my little world, and I was determined to be able to "name it" for my son, so he would be ahead of the game.
Well, I am happy to report that my what-is-it project (mushrooms, birds, wildflowers) will keep my long into my elder years, and the curiosity has extended to my son. He knows more bird songs than I, and is genuinely interested in learning more and more about them. I have to admit it was to my own benefit to steer him towards birds rather than his previous obsession...trains. These detailed engineering studies are very "mommy" friendly when you move beyond Thomas and the Island of Sodor. "No, honey, I don't know if it is a 4-6-4 steam locomotive or a 2-8-8-2."
The point of a bit a rambling is that Dave William's amazing bird walks start this Sunday at the town forest. Yes, it is early in the morning, 6 a.m., but just getting out that early on a Sunday is a bit of an adventure. There is no one about yet, and everything is so very peaceful. A bit of mist, dewy grass, and the wonder of how you never noticed the song of an oriole before. Dave is an amazing teacher...well he actually is a teacher in the RPS...and you will never feel embarrassed at asking questions or asking for help in spotting.

So take yourself out into the woods with your binoculars and feed that mysterious part of yourself that needs to connect with nature and other creatures. Enjoy that smile you smile when you realize that their are many, many beautiful birds living out their lives right under our noses in Reading.

Outside is not just for kids anymore :)

No comments: